Erddig Apple Festival
Origins of the festival
Erddig’s apple festival began with an ambition to rescue and preserve old apple varieties and mark National Apple Day which is 21 October.
Now with 180 apple varieties grown at Erddig, many rare and historic, it’s fair to say that Erddig still aims to do just that, but the event has grown to become a much bigger celebration of this humble fruit.
- Erddig 2017 apple display – 130 varieties to see in the tractor shed
- Artist in residence, Simon O’Rourke NEW apple-inspired sculpture trail
- Mr Phoebus Penny Farthing experience – a chance for grown-ups to ride as the Yorkes once did 6 to 8 and 13 to 15 October
- Erddig cider bar – 7 and 8 October
- Matthew Wood art workshops – 14 October
- Jazz music, So What Now band – 14 and 15 October
- Peter Read ‘No Place Like Home’ theatre production – 14 and 15 October
- Live music in the house – enjoy a rare opportunity to hear the Bevington organ being played – 16 to 20 October
- Ifton Colliery Band – 21 and 22 October
- Ralph’s cider making and cider press demonstrations – 21 and 22 October
- Ralph’s Cider bar and you can try before you buy – 21 and 22 October
- Dai Chef cookery demonstrations – 21 and 22 October
- Synergy Live band – 29 October
- Erddig 40th anniversary multi-media installation throughout
- NEW Special apple trail to find our crew of quirky apple characters carved by Simon O’Rourke
- Meet the donkeys and horses – make badges with the horse team (weekends). Look out for the donkeys in the stables, you might catch them doing a spot of apple bobbing with our windfall apples as a little treat.
- Getting to the core of our collection – a trail to discover apple items in the house.
- Punch and Judy – 7 and 8 October
- Woodland classroom activities in Wolf’s Den – 14 October
- Storytelling with award-winning Jake – 15, 21, 22 and 29 to 31 October
- Techniquest apple science activities – 28 and 29 October
- Apple-inspired games and craft activities with our volunteers including chocolate apple slice decorating (weekends)
- Mr Phoebus Penny Farthing experience – mini bikes to try in the Timber Yard 6 to 8 October
- Family creative writing activity – 7 and 8 October
- Bird feeder making with the RSPB – 2, 9, 28 and 29 October.