A steam train pulls into the station at Llantysyllio. Below the famous chainbridge.
Llantysilio Chain Bridge is the third bridge on the same spot and is thought to incorporate some of the early 19th century iron chains from the original structure, making them the oldest known suspension chains still in use. The bridge was used to transport goods over the River Dee between the London to Holyhead Road (now the A5) and the Llangollen Canal, and later became a footbridge. Though built originally as an underslung truss, it was rebuilt as a suspension bridge. Disused since the 1980s, full restoration was carried out in 2015.
Entrepreneur Exuperius Pickering (c.1781-1835) wanted to be able to transport his coal, lime and iron bar along the two main transportation arteries in north Wales — the Llangollen Canal and the London to Holyhead Road. Around 1814, he thought of a connecting bridge over the River Dee at Llantysilio, north west of Llangollen, near his wharf on the canal. The idea enabled him to avoid paying the tolls on Llangollen Bridge
Llantysilio. Denbighhshire. Wales
Routes To the Sea project
Images by Craig Colville photographer
Copyright held by Denbighshire County council